tlf-devel

Re: Documentation Updating

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: Documentation Updating
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 18:57:41 +0100

Hi Alan and all others,

good summary from your side.

Am Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:49:52 -0500
schrieb Alan Dove <alan.dove@gmail.com>:

> Hey, folks:
>
> That's an excellent point, Ervin; users coming from N1MM+ on Windows
> or Skookum on Mac may have trouble understanding the logic of TLF. It
> also fits in with something I was thinking about how we should
> organize the documentation. It seems to fall naturally into different
> categories for users in different situations:
>
> 1. The front page (tlf.github.io): People probably land here from an
> internet search such as "linux ham contest logger." It should focus on
> TLF's main features, show what the interface looks like, and direct
> those folks to the next step. It already does this pretty well. The
> only changes I'd suggest would be a few minor edits in the top section
> and cutting most of the content from "Download and installation"
> onward
> - that information should go in the next step.

Feel free to make a pull request.

We should also replace the top image of TLF in contest by an actual
one.

> 2. The README.md for the repository (https://github.com/Tlf/tlf): This
> should be linked prominently from the front page, as the next step for
> people who want to try TLF. I'm already working on this, and intend to
> make it into a single page that covers installation, basic principles,
> and a Quick Start example. That should get newcomers up and running
> with a minimum of fuss.
>
> 3. The Manual.md file: This will explain TLF's operation in more
> detail, and delve into detailed setup instructions for CW, RTTY, and
> SSB contests. It will also direct people to the man page and the wiki
> for answers to specific questions.
>
> 4. The man page: When people type `man tlf`, they've already installed
> the program, probably used it a bit, and now have some specific
> question. The current man page does an excellent job answering those
> questions, and I presume it will continue to do that in future
> updates.

Maybe we should think about how to keep man page and manual.md in sync
in the long run.

> 5. The wiki: We could use the Github wiki feature to duplicate some of
> the functions of the man page, for people who haven't installed TLF
> yet or who don't like scrolling through man pages in a terminal. An
> easy place to start would be to dump the current man page into a text
> file and upload it to the wiki.

An additional use could be to use it as a place to collect user
provided contest rules, initial exchange or multiplier files.

73, de Tom

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea