tlf-devel

Re: Documentation Updating

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: Documentation Updating
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:10:38 -0600

* On 2022 23 Feb 08:21 -0600, Alan Dove wrote:
> Hey, folks:
>
> As a recent convert to Linux-based ham radio and TLF, I'd like to help
> a bit with the project if I can. My coding is rudimentary at best, but
> I've worked as a technical writer for over 20 years and feel I could
> probably put those skills to use on the documentation.

Hi Alan!

Welcome to Tlf.

> I've forked the project on Github so I can edit the documentation and
> submit pull requests. I'm planning to start with the /doc/README file
> and work my way down from there. Please let me know if there's some
> more pressing need in the docs, or some other approach the developers
> would prefer I take. I don't want to step on any toes.

As I replied to Nick, the use of Markdown for the HTML/PDF documentation
seems a very good choice to me.  The nice thing about Markdown is that
the readability of the source text is not degraded, in fact it is
enhanced, IMO, and it would be a good choice to convert at least the
main README file into the format as GitHub will format it when viewing
the main source directory online.

The other nice thing about Markdown is that GitHub will convert it into
HTML automatically for the main Tlf Web pages and any Wiki pages that
are written.  Generation of PDF would need to be done locally and PanDoc
does a good job with that from what I have seen.

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB