Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:30:07 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:25:42AM -0400, Guillaume Pratte wrote:
[..]
> > > [...] the only thing missing in my opinion in Synaptic
> > > would be distribution selection, i.e. beeing able to select between
> > > stable, testing, unstable and experimental [...]
> >
> > This is probably much more work than it looks at first :) There are
> > quite a few tricky issues that need to be solved first, before
> > synaptic can fully support distribution selection. So, I put it on my
> > TODO list, but I can make any promise when it might be ready.
>
> Thanks.

I played around with this last night. I think it's possible and maybe
even easier than I initially thought. But I need some brainstorming
here, how should be represent it in a gui? Should we make a switch
(maybe in the preferences) where you select your default Distribution
and then another in the main window where you can override the
distribution for each pkg individually? Should we have something like
"apt-cache showpkg" to see what versions are available (also apt-cache
showpkg does not show to what distribution they belong, at least not
directly)?

I wonder how we could integrate it in the gui without confusing the
newbies.

bye,
 Michael