Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:59:57 +0200

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:14:31AM -0400, Guillaume Pratte wrote:
> Greetings,
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

> I am using a Debian installation made with Knoppix, so my packages are a mix
> from both testing and unstable distributions.

What version of synpatic do you use right now?

> With the addition of the search tool lately, that can search through package
> description, the only thing missing in my opinion in Synaptic would be
> distribution selection, i.e. beeing able to select between stable, testing,
> unstable and experimental depending on what your /etc/apt/sources.list
> contains. The equivalent with the apt-get command line command is the
> "apt-get -t branch" command where branch is stable, testing, etc.

This is probably much more work than it looks at first :) There are
quite a few tricky issues that need to be solved first, before
synaptic can fully support distribution selection. So, I put it on my
TODO list, but I can make any promise when it might be ready.

Help with adding this feature is very welcome though :)

bye,
 Michael