Re: Instantiating multiple ModelSwarms

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Instantiating multiple ModelSwarms
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:41:40 -0500

If you use Unix, there is a program called drone which can run your
program over and over under many conditions and it keeps excellent
records on what has been done.  The only part you need to do is enable
the command line parameter processing and write a drone control file.

On windows, we have trouble getting Drone to work, because the required
library Expect won't compile.  So I wrote a perl program that can
replicate a program and sweep through parameters, keeping good records
on what's been done.  That's available

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode/replicator.pl

We have tested that on windows and unix, works fine.

I don't mean to say that Steve's approach won't work, but I spent a long
time trying to make things like that work and never got it.  As I
recall, the hangup is that you want a control panel for the multi-run
experiment, and in addition you need a control panel for the individual
run of the model, and making those two work together was a major
problem. You will see, if you dig into it....