Re: screenshots note

From: m . gallucci
Subject: Re: screenshots note
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:17:42 +0200 (CEST)

I thank very much who answered. I understand the problem, but since it
works with KDE, that's fine with me. For dubugging reasons, I specify
what I mean for "does not work"

With enlightenment, the program produces the first screenshot (at time
1), then it crashes when producing the second screenshot, with the
following message:
"
  X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  15323
"
The code I use is the standard code [[[[[Pixmap creatBeing....]]]drop],
found in Heatbug.

My message was intended to mean something like "if someone is in an
hurry and screen shooting does not work, try KDE".

Cheers
marcello

On 22 Jun, address@hidden wrote:
> You don't say in what sense the screenshot of a single window does not
> work, but I know  your pain here.
>
> A while back we chased this problem around A LOT.  I'm not qualified to
> explain the details, but Marcus is, and what he told me is that the
> problem is that there is no common window manager terminology for
> workspaces.  Window managers like enlightenment, which totally revise
> their insides every version, cause problems.
>
> As I recall, if you run under enlightenment, and open one workspace--the
> first workspace in its array or workspaces-- and start swarm in there
> and DO NOT CHANGE workspaces while the program is running, then the
> snapshots of the individual widget will work.  However, if you try to be
> cute and start swarm and switch to another workspace, it does not.  I
> recall the FVWM does work well, because it has a relatively low amount
> of "new extra workspace feature" crud you have to put up with.  I have
> good luck with variou editions of WindowMaker.
>

> I don't think this problem is going to get better.  Maybe somebody will
> volunteer to dig into the window manager problems, but we did that a
> while ago and the lack of an accept terminology is really the problem.
>
> For batch simulations, I use the BatchRaster snapshot approach, which
> does not depend on a window manager at all.  That is limited to just
> saving images of rasters, no pixmaps.
>
> address@hidden wrote:
>>
>> While producing screen-shots with one of my swarm-program, it was
>> impossible to produce them using enlightment WM. It works when
>> screen-shooting the root window, but not with a single widget.
>>
>> I succeeded using KDE. (without changing the code of my program).
>>
>> I do not know why this happens, and maybe its not that interesting. But
>> someone may find this information useful.
>>
>> bye
>> marcello
>>
>> --
>> Marcello Gallucci (Ph.D)
>
> --
> Paul E. Johnson                       email: address@hidden
> Dept. of Political Science            http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
> University of Kansas                  Office: (785) 864-9086
> Lawrence, Kansas 66045                FAX: (785) 864-5700

Marcello Gallucci (Ph.D)

Department of Social Psychology
Free University
Van der Boechorststraat 1