Re: screenshots note

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: screenshots note
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:38:16 -0500

You don't say in what sense the screenshot of a single window does not
work, but I know  your pain here.

A while back we chased this problem around A LOT.  I'm not qualified to
explain the details, but Marcus is, and what he told me is that the
problem is that there is no common window manager terminology for
workspaces.  Window managers like enlightenment, which totally revise
their insides every version, cause problems.

As I recall, if you run under enlightenment, and open one workspace--the
first workspace in its array or workspaces-- and start swarm in there
and DO NOT CHANGE workspaces while the program is running, then the
snapshots of the individual widget will work.  However, if you try to be
cute and start swarm and switch to another workspace, it does not.  I
recall the FVWM does work well, because it has a relatively low amount
of "new extra workspace feature" crud you have to put up with.  I have
good luck with variou editions of WindowMaker.

I don't think this problem is going to get better.  Maybe somebody will
volunteer to dig into the window manager problems, but we did that a
while ago and the lack of an accept terminology is really the problem.

For batch simulations, I use the BatchRaster snapshot approach, which
does not depend on a window manager at all.  That is limited to just
saving images of rasters, no pixmaps.