Grid2D and Notice

From: David Aliaga
Subject: Grid2D and Notice
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:13:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi Swarm Community:

2 things:
1) A question. Let's suppose I have a Grid2D called
world in which some agents "live". Let's say it is a
10x10 world and we have 4 agents (Swarm objects) each
one with a position X,Y.  If I want to communicate a
message to all of them something like:

for(i=0;i<4;i++)
   { iX=???  iY=??? // Here should I use a separate
                    // array?
     id pointedAgent=[getObjectatX: iX  Y: iY  ];
     [pointedAgent MoveOn];
    }

My problem is: Do I have to keep a separate array of
the positions of evey agent so I can have "iX" and
"iY"
or is there a way I can use the Grid2D structure
directly. Or in another words, How can I pass a
message to all the agents stored in the Grid2D or find
them (of course the option of traversing all the Grid
asking [getObject...] to each position is not
considered.

2) A notice to the community. I want to communicate
that Swarm has been mentioned in the announcement of a
Joint Meeting sponsored by the SICE (Society of
Instrument and Control Engineers) to happen in Tokyo
on March 27 of 2001. The information is all in
japanese
but anyway here is the address:

http://www.hip.atr.co.jp/~keiki/other/SICE-CFP.html

Thank you