Installing and using swarm 1.3 on SuSE 5.2

From: Lorenz Gygax
Subject: Installing and using swarm 1.3 on SuSE 5.2
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:25:21 +0200 (MEST)

Dear all,

After I seemed to have all the prerequisite software I started to install
swarm. I had to fiddle a bit with the flags of configure but finally it
ran smoothly and created the Makefiles. I then ran make and make install
which ran as smoothly.

Now, if I try to compile heatbugs with make I get error messages of the
following form:

/usr/lib/libBLT.a(bltBgexec.o): In function `CleanupProc':
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x30c): undefined reference to `Tk_DeleteFileHandler'
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x31e): undefined reference to `Tk_DeleteTimerHandler'
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x3d4): undefined reference to `Tk_BackgroundError'
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x44d): undefined reference to `Tk_EventuallyFree'
/usr/lib/libBLT.a(bltBgexec.o): In function `StatusProc':
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x577): undefined reference to `Tk_CreateTimerHandler'
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x5ff): undefined reference to `Tk_Preserve'
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x620): undefined reference to `Tk_Release'
/usr/lib/libBLT.a(bltBgexec.o): In function `BackgroundProc':
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x6d4): undefined reference to `Tk_BackgroundError'
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x717): undefined reference to `Tk_CreateTimerHandler'
bltBgexec.o(.text+0x72c): undefined reference to `Tk_DeleteFileHandler'
[and many more ...]

The only thing I found regarding such a problem was a pretty old mail in
the archive which said that there is presumably a mismatch of Tk/Tcl and
Blt. Now, I have installed Tk/Tcl 8.0/8.0 and Blt 2.4 but I saw while
running find commands that there still seem to be other (older) versions
around.

Now, I reinstalled blt (because I think I made a mistake) and followed
where the header files and libraries are put. In the swarm-installation
directory I ran ./configure again making sure it uses the newly installed
blt files (its own checking also tells me that it uses tcl/tk 8.0/8.0).
Then I do make and make install again, but I still get the same errors
when I try to compile heatbugs.

Any more ideas? With great appreciation, Lorenz