Re: Installing and using swarm 1.3 on SuSE 5.2

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Installing and using swarm 1.3 on SuSE 5.2
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:25:28 -0500

Lorenz Gygax wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After I seemed to have all the prerequisite software I started to install
> swarm. I had to fiddle a bit with the flags of configure but finally it
> ran smoothly and created the Makefiles. I then ran make and make install
> which ran as smoothly.
>
> Now, if I try to compile heatbugs with make I get error messages of the
> following form:
>
> /usr/lib/libBLT.a(bltBgexec.o): In function `CleanupProc':
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x30c): undefined reference to `Tk_DeleteFileHandler'
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x31e): undefined reference to `Tk_DeleteTimerHandler'
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x3d4): undefined reference to `Tk_BackgroundError'
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x44d): undefined reference to `Tk_EventuallyFree'
> /usr/lib/libBLT.a(bltBgexec.o): In function `StatusProc':
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x577): undefined reference to `Tk_CreateTimerHandler'
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x5ff): undefined reference to `Tk_Preserve'
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x620): undefined reference to `Tk_Release'
> /usr/lib/libBLT.a(bltBgexec.o): In function `BackgroundProc':
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x6d4): undefined reference to `Tk_BackgroundError'
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x717): undefined reference to `Tk_CreateTimerHandler'
> bltBgexec.o(.text+0x72c): undefined reference to `Tk_DeleteFileHandler'
> [and many more ...]
>
> The only thing I found regarding such a problem was a pretty old mail in
> the archive which said that there is presumably a mismatch of Tk/Tcl and
> Blt. Now, I have installed Tk/Tcl 8.0/8.0 and Blt 2.4 but I saw while
> running find commands that there still seem to be other (older) versions
> around.
>
> Now, I reinstalled blt (because I think I made a mistake) and followed
> where the header files and libraries are put. In the swarm-installation
> directory I ran ./configure again making sure it uses the newly installed
> blt files (its own checking also tells me that it uses tcl/tk 8.0/8.0).
> Then I do make and make install again, but I still get the same errors
> when I try to compile heatbugs.
Go into your heatbugs directory and type

ldd heatbugs

this will list the shared libraries your app is using.  Highly likely
the correct ones are not being used.

It is a dicey situation to have 2 versions of tcl/tk installed on one
system.  If you can just delete all except 8.0p2 or newer, you will be
save. You'll have to recompile swarm (possibly blt), but it will be ok.

Some programs may still look for the old tcl/tk, so you may need to keep
both. This was a problem for me in the past because Redhat was
distributed with tcl/tk8.0 but at the time swarm wanted older tcl/tk.
In some notes on installing Swarm 1.1, I wrote down all kinds of
gyrations required to control the usage of 2 tcl/tk versions. One
version had to be installed in /usr and the other in /usr/local. Then
you have to be super careful in setting paths for blt and swarm.  I've
still got a copy of that stuff linked from the "old static Swarm FAQ" on
my homepage.  http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn (look for the button
that says Swarm FAQ, as opposed to "swarm online faq" which is the newer
stuff.