sdx-users

[sdx-users] [newbie] Programmatic use of SDX...

From: Remi Vankeisbelck
Subject: [sdx-users] [newbie] Programmatic use of SDX...
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:53:19 +0200

Hi there,

I'm working in the French Scientifical and Technical Research Lab for Building and Construction.Amongst various activities, we are developing documentary applications for some of our clients (the content being mainly regulations and normative material, maintained as a set of XML docs), with indexing and searching capabilities.

I'm currently investigating SDX as a "back-end" component for our solutions. I've had a quick look at the "XSP" side of the framework, which is very interesting, but does not fulfill all our requirements. We'd like to embed the indexing feature and search engine into virtually any Java application (e.g. web-started swing clients, applets, web apps). I'd just like to do be able to search into my XML docs using SDX classes, just like :

// get hold of an sdx 'app'
SDXApp myApp = ... ;
// perform a search in this app...
SDXResult[] results = myApp.search("my request here");
:-)

This "code" could be executed in a local class, in a servlet, in a remote object, or whatever...

So, I tried to have a look at the javadocs and source code (FrameworkImpl, etc), but as you may know this is very time-consuming task...

So, I was just wondering is there was any good tutorial (I tried google but it did not send me any interesting link :-/ ) to get into it (just like the one for the "XSP way" !). If not, I'll get back to code and try to understand how it works...

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Remi