qemu-devel

Re: Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:31:28 +0000

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 at 19:39, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-02-16 at 09:29 -1000, Richard Henderson wrote:
> > On 2/16/23 09:02, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > > It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to extend qemu-user to support the
> > > similar personality variations for SCO/Solaris/etc. using that as a
> > > guide.
> >
> > Not beyond wit but perhaps beyond patience.
> >
> > It would certainly be possible to emulate the "easy middle" of one POSIX
> > guest on a
> > different POSIX host.  But the dusty corners are going to get in the way,
> > where we
> > currently rely on guest and host having identical semantics, and pass the
> > system call
> > through to the host.
> >
> > It's a big job.
>
> True, but the existing iBCS / linux-abi kernel patches should highlight
> a lot of those dusty corners.

linux-user is pretty low on maintenance effort as it is; I
just don't think there's any likelihood of anybody with the
time and interest in doing Solaris-on-Linux emulation showing
up to do the work, especially given that our user-mode infra pretty
heavily assumes same-host-same-guest-OS.

thanks
-- PMM