qemu-devel

Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)

From: ginu samuel
Subject: Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:30:05 +0530

Hi,
    I have a requirement to run a Solaris binary ( 32 bit ) on linux (64 bit).

Since some of the sources for the binary are not available, recompilation on linux is not possible.

So we are trying to run on linux using QEMU

the uname output on solaris box is -
#uname -sip
SunOS sparc sun4v

the uname output on linux box is -
#uname -siop
Linux x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Following are the questions:
1. Is the user mode emulation (of QEMU) the right way to do this?

2. If yes, what would be actual command to do this. The Linux User space emulator ( https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/user/main.html) gives the command :
qemu-i386 [-h] [-d] [-L path] [-s size] [-cpu model] [-g port] [-B offset] [-R size] program [arguments...]
Is there a suitable command for 64 bit linux to run the program ?
3.  Is this the package to install for RHEL as given in documentation?
  • RHEL/CentOS: yum install qemu-kvm

4. Does the program require Super user privileges to run?

Regards,
Ginu