qemu-devel

Re: Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)

From: David Woodhouse
Subject: Re: Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 20:02:20 +0100

On Thu, 2023-02-16 at 14:36 +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 at 14:30, ginu samuel <samuel.ginu2010@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >     I have a requirement to run a Solaris binary ( 32 bit ) on
> > linux (64 bit).
> >
> > Since some of the sources for the binary are not available,
> > recompilation on linux is not possible.
> >
> > So we are trying to run on linux using QEMU
>
> > Following are the questions:
> > 1. Is the user mode emulation (of QEMU) the right way to do this?
>
> No. QEMU's user-only mode only supports running Linux processes
> on a Linux host; it can't run binaries for any other OS like Solaris.
>
> To run a Solaris binary you would need to boot a guest Solaris
> on an emulated QEMU system (effectively, like a slow VM), and
> then run the binary you want to run inside that VM.

Well... we used to be able to run Solaris and similar x86 binaries on
Linux, with the iBCS patches in the kernel, which became
https://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/

It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to extend qemu-user to support the
similar personality variations for SCO/Solaris/etc. using that as a
guide.