qemu-devel

Re: Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Runnig solaris binary(32 bit) on linux(64 bit)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:36:44 +0000

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 at 14:30, ginu samuel <samuel.ginu2010@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>     I have a requirement to run a Solaris binary ( 32 bit ) on linux (64 bit).
>
> Since some of the sources for the binary are not available, recompilation on
> linux is not possible.
>
> So we are trying to run on linux using QEMU

> Following are the questions:
> 1. Is the user mode emulation (of QEMU) the right way to do this?

No. QEMU's user-only mode only supports running Linux processes
on a Linux host; it can't run binaries for any other OS like Solaris.

To run a Solaris binary you would need to boot a guest Solaris
on an emulated QEMU system (effectively, like a slow VM), and
then run the binary you want to run inside that VM.

Running QEMU doesn't need root privileges.

thanks
-- PMM