Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] version milestones regarding addressbook a

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] version milestones regarding addressbook and calendar
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:46:59 +1000

Hi Geoff,

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 03:20, Geoff Robinson wrote:
> Hi team-
>
> Out company in Chicago provides IT services to small business. We are
> attempting to build an open-source system (for various reasons). I'm
> trying to nail down a track for our groupware offering.

I would suggest using phpgroupware, but I am very biased ;)

> [questions in the last paragraph if you want to skip my exposition ;)]
>
> I'm evaluating phpGroupware, and I have to say I'm very impressed with
> the future possibilities surrounding the xml-rpc interface, allowing
> users to plug into the same groupware system through both the web and a
> native client (a lot of "retail server space" companies offer a
> web-interface to Exchange server, which is useful).

There are several possibilities on this front.  SOAP is also an option
for evolution2 integration.  I know this a question below, but I might
as well discuss it here.

Client Options:
* MS LookOut - can be done using the sync interface an a non free plugin
for lookout.

* Mozilla - using existing component and some new one using XUL and
xmlrpc - I have some notes on this.  The main thing building the ui for
each app.  I plan to leaverage existing mozilla project apps as much as
possible to make this work.  Redoing a calendar ui in XUL when one exist
is just too much work, and a waste of time imho.

* Evolution - evo2 will have a nice backend - the evolution data server,
which is designed to allow evo to hook into other data sources, it has
SOAP support for Novell GroupDies.  I have had a look throught the code
for evo-dc and it seems doable.  Unfortunately my C knowledge is almost
non existent.

* other options - delphi C# etc have been suggested in the past for
building clients, I don't know of any active development for these.

> I have some questions on the development plans, and I have not been able
> to find answers on the list archive or the (partially rebuilt) website.

partially rebuilt website?  There has been a lot of reorganizing of
content to make it easier find things.  There are a few things left to
be added, which should happen this week - time permitting.

> For the immediate future, I would like to have at least basic
> addressbook/calendar access through a non-web interface before I make a
> system available to our customers.
>
> I know that the addressbook is able to use an LDAP system, and that the
> calendar can be made available through an iCal interface. I have set up
> these systems and gotten each to work satisfactorily. I can see the
> addressbook through Thunderbird, and the iCal export works as well.

I am glad you got the iCal script working :)  I take it that is using
calendar/ical.php ?

> But these are read-only exports. As your development stands, it seems
> that the LDAP is in the middle of a major rewrite. I also saw a
> read/write iCal in the CVS development tree.

LDAP has been given some much needed attention in the 0.9.16 release.
The same with the contacts backend.  The realtime iCal import/export is
on my todo list.  I am a solo man business, so paying work gets more
attention, so this is on the back burner atm.

> I want to be able to, say, enter a new contact through Thunderbird and
> have it show up in phpGroupware. Entering contacts into LDAP (using GQ
> browser) does not show up on the web (current SQL store is just copied
> on write to the LDAP system, yes?).

Yes, atm the contacts backend simply exports the data to ldap.  The new
contacts backend is rather complex.  LDAP is designed for rather simple
data, where as SQL copes better with the new contacts backend.  It
*should* be possible to work in a multiple contact source backend in
HEAD.  This is a major task, so sponsorship will probably help it
happen.

> I also want to be able to write to
> remote iCalendar with a client like the MacOS iCal, or Sunbird.

This is doable.  I have the notes for it.  Just need the time to get it
done.  I would also like phpgw to be able to read iCal sources in real
time.

> So, my actual questions-
>
> - What is the current development timeline?

This is a free software project.  We all donate time to the project.
Timelines are usually vague and dictated by other things.

> - Do you plan to have external read/write capabilities to
> addressbook/calendar, and if so, when (version milestone) is it scheduled?

The cal thing should be in 0.9.18 by the end of the year - tentatively.
If you would like something done sooner, which will work with 0.9.16,
contact me off list.

> - What is the status of the xml-rpc interface? Is it considered
> experimental?

It is pretty solid in some parts, and non existent in others.

> - Does my concept of a native client + web interface system jive with
> your overall design goals?

Yep

> Thanks for your help.
> And if I'm on the wrong list, please feel free to move this thread.

You need info from the developers, so here is the right place :)

Cheers

Dave
--
Dave Hall (aka skwashd)