[Phpgroupware-developers] version milestones regarding addressbook and c

From: Geoff Robinson
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] version milestones regarding addressbook and calendar
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:20:25 -0500

Hi team-

Out company in Chicago provides IT services to small business. We are attempting to build an open-source system (for various reasons). I'm trying to nail down a track for our groupware offering.

[questions in the last paragraph if you want to skip my exposition ;)]

I'm evaluating phpGroupware, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the future possibilities surrounding the xml-rpc interface, allowing users to plug into the same groupware system through both the web and a native client (a lot of "retail server space" companies offer a web-interface to Exchange server, which is useful).

I have some questions on the development plans, and I have not been able to find answers on the list archive or the (partially rebuilt) website.

For the immediate future, I would like to have at least basic addressbook/calendar access through a non-web interface before I make a system available to our customers.

I know that the addressbook is able to use an LDAP system, and that the calendar can be made available through an iCal interface. I have set up these systems and gotten each to work satisfactorily. I can see the addressbook through Thunderbird, and the iCal export works as well.

But these are read-only exports. As your development stands, it seems that the LDAP is in the middle of a major rewrite. I also saw a read/write iCal in the CVS development tree.

I want to be able to, say, enter a new contact through Thunderbird and have it show up in phpGroupware. Entering contacts into LDAP (using GQ browser) does not show up on the web (current SQL store is just copied on write to the LDAP system, yes?). I also want to be able to write to remote iCalendar with a client like the MacOS iCal, or Sunbird.

So, my actual questions-

- What is the current development timeline?

- Do you plan to have external read/write capabilities to addressbook/calendar, and if so, when (version milestone) is it scheduled?

- What is the status of the xml-rpc interface? Is it considered experimental?

- Does my concept of a native client + web interface system jive with your overall design goals?

Thanks for your help.
And if I'm on the wrong list, please feel free to move this thread.

- Geoff

--
Geoff Robinson
Tavros Technology