pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 17:49:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 02:46:55 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> I Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below,
> on  Fri, 02 Jan 2009 21:12:46 +0000:
        [...]
>>      I kept getting warnings, editing posting profiles, finding
>> nothing wrong, ad nauseam.

        It says

!> There were problems with this post.

!> Warning: The posting profile's server doesn't carry newsgroup
!>      " grc.techtalk".
!>      If the group name is correct, switch profiles in the "From:"
!>      line or edit the profile with "Edit|Manage Posting Profiles".

        I tried all those things, of course. Several times yesterday, and
several more just now.

        Fwiw, I've been monitoring (a few parts of) news.grc since before
Steve first introduced the password trick, as explained on Milly's site
that Kurt posted.

        Have I missed a recent change? I don't see one, and haven't
changed my Pan settings.

        (Fwiw, I have several times sneaker-mailed them from one machine
to another, more recently upgraded machine. Latterly that has sometimes
created weird permission problems -- but I don't see the characteristic
marks  ...)

>> Finally I told Pan to post anyway.
>>
>>      It came back instantly with an assertion as bald as it was
>> false : "You are not allowed to post to _____."
>>
>>      Whence cometh this bad craziness?? What do I do about it???

> Based on Kurt's link, I'm also wondering if you set followup correctly.
>
> http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm#cross
>
> Crossposting and multiposting:
>     If you wish to post the same message to more than one relevant
>     group,
> please  "crosspost" (i.e. send a single message to more than one group)
> but not "multipost" (i.e. send identical but separate messages to more
> than one group). And when "crossposting", please set a 'follow-up' to
> only one group where subsequent discussion is best suited. "Crossposts"
> with more or less than one follow-up group set will be rejected by the
> server.

        I'm certainly trying to do that, that way. Under More Headers,
the first (follow-up) box contains (copied & pasted) : grc.techtalk.linux
-- while the Newsgroups line at the top of the Message contains :
grc.techtalk.linux, grc.techtalk Anybody see any typos??

> The problem with the way pan handles followup-to is that you must type
> in the group name both there, and if you're adding the cross-post (as
> you would be at grc since with the followup, the only cross-posts would
> be added for that single post), type the name in there as well.

        Err ... Uh ... Knowing you, I'm confident *you* know what that
paragraph says, or means, or did when you wrote it ... <ducks & runs>

> Thus, if you mistyped the group name in one or the other location, you
> should get an error, either of missing group (from pan) or of unallowed
> (from the grc server).

        Well, iiuc, it's the unallowed I'm getting -- or maybe you mean
both. So I have now proofread the bejesus out of every grc.<whatever> in
the would-be crosspost ...

> Also note that you must select a profile that is set to post to that
> server, but it sounds like you got past that bit in pan -- unless you
> chose one that posts to a different server and ignored the warning that
> the group didn't exist on that server.

        I got that warning, too; but I was using one of my GRC posting
profiles. (I have several for each server, with different .sigs.) All of
them call for news.grc.com; and the profile for that still has the same
userid/password combo as ever. I even recopied and re-pasted the password
to make sure.

> It would be useful to know what warning pan gave you that you said post
> anyway to.  If it was something like lines over 80 chars or too much
> quoting, that shouldn't be an issue here (tho the grc server might not
> allow it, I see something about too long a quote in Kurt's link).

        I have that seemingly accursed message next to this one, in a
window the same width; being a new thread, without bits of other posts,
it reaches down to my mention of sneakermail above -- iow, it's about
half the length of this one.

> If it was, as mentioned above, a warning saying the group didn't exist
> on that server, then you weren't using a profile set to post to the grc
> server, but to a different one, maybe gmane, since IIRC you use it as I
> do.

        (Yes, I do indeed use Gmane for everything I can; couldn't live
without.)

        What I posted above (with exclamation marks in the left margin)
is copied & pasted from that popup box. It *says* the group isn't on the
server that the profile points to; but the only things that *are* on that
profile are all of the form grc.x or grc.x.y; the CECIL trick looks right
to me; and my single-grc-group posts do go up, be they replies or starts
of new threads. <writer proceeds to pound head on palm rest in front of
keyboard ...>