pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 02:46:55 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 02 Jan 2009
21:12:46 +0000:

>       I have posted (today or quite recently) to both grc.techtalk and
> grc.techtalk.linux. Just now, I followed a suggestion (replying to a
> post of mine) on one of them that I cross-post to both, with follow-ups
> set to one.
>
>       I did.
>
>       I kept getting warnings, editing posting profiles, finding
> nothing wrong, ad nauseam. Finally I told Pan to post anyway.
>
>       It came back instantly with an assertion as bald as it was
> false : "You are not allowed to post to _____."
>
>       Whence cometh this bad craziness?? What do I do about it???

Based on Kurt's link, I'm also wondering if you set followup correctly.

http://www.imilly.com/noregrets.htm#cross

Crossposting and multiposting:
    If you wish to post the same message to more than one relevant group,
please  "crosspost" (i.e. send a single message to more than one group)
but not "multipost" (i.e. send identical but separate messages to more
than one group). And when "crossposting", please set a 'follow-up' to
only one group where subsequent discussion is best suited. "Crossposts"
with more or less than one follow-up group set will be rejected by the
server.

The problem with the way pan handles followup-to is that you must type in
the group name both there, and if you're adding the cross-post (as you
would be at grc since with the followup, the only cross-posts would be
added for that single post), type the name in there as well.

Thus, if you mistyped the group name in one or the other location, you
should get an error, either of missing group (from pan) or of unallowed
(from the grc server).

Also note that you must select a profile that is set to post to that
server, but it sounds like you got past that bit in pan -- unless you
chose one that posts to a different server and ignored the warning that
the group didn't exist on that server.

It would be useful to know what warning pan gave you that you said post
anyway to.  If it was something like lines over 80 chars or too much
quoting, that shouldn't be an issue here (tho the grc server might not
allow it, I see something about too long a quote in Kurt's link).  If it
was, as mentioned above, a warning saying the group didn't exist ont hat
server, then you weren't using a profile set to post to the grc server,
but to a different one, maybe gmane, since IIRC you use it as I do.