Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 19:14:42 +0200

Greg Minshall wrote in
 <747928.1680604649@archlinux>:
 |[NB: i'm not claiming asciidoc is the right "light-weight markup
 |language" to choose.  i don't really know.  it just seems reasonable
 |enough to me.  though, probably choosing any of the options, such as

What i always hated was the paragraph-continuation via "+".  This
looks so un-natural un-textual to me.

 |asciidoc or markdown, in the future converting to some other isn't "much
 |more" than an awk script.  [my awk-fu is still okay.]]

For example, even though it is fully bloated python i think

  --config=<config>::
          Use the given config variable as a multi-valued list storing
          absolute path names. Iterate on that list of paths to run
          the given arguments.
  +
  These config values are loaded from system, global, and local Git config,
  as available. If `git for-each-repo` is run in a directory that is not a
  Git repository, then only the system and global config is used.

Why not simply

          arguments.

          These config.

etc?  Does not work.  This totally disturbs my text-only read flow
(imagine multiple list indentations even), so i stopped thinking
about asciidoc.  I do not know anything better, too.  (And, to be
plain, when i look at some converted manuals it looks so
artificial, that a roff manual page is not that much more cryptic
in the end, really.  Even yaml that ruby used about 15-20 years
ago is de-facto easier to read .. dependent upon the content, of
course.)

P.S.: sorry for cutting so many context, all the time.
All of you.  :-(  (But HTML, .. that was hard.)

--steffen