Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 18:36:27 -0400

>I don't see a tbl command on MacOS (or freebsd, except if you
>installed groff (or plan9port -- ignore the troff comment!).

At least on MacOS X, 'man tbl' actually works (but there is not a separate
tbl command, true).  The man page says:

     The tbl language formats tables.  It is used within mdoc(7) and man(7)
     pages.  This manual describes the subset of the tbl language accepted by
     the mandoc(1) utility.

>Unless you mean replacing the current setup with the output of
>equivalent tbl syntax and then checking that in? I tried that.
>mandoc doesn't understand tbl output for the simple test i tried.
>
>/usr/local/bin/tbl <<EOF| mandoc -man
>.TS
>c c c .
>This is   centered
>Well,     this also
>.TE
>EOF

It looks like to me that tbl format is handled directly by mandoc.  E.g.,
this works:

mandoc -man <<EOF
.TS
[...]