Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 17:40:17 -0400

>Why not just add a note in man pages affected by the .fc problem
>that if the tables are not properly lined up, the user must install
>groff (or plan9ports, where you also get troff)?

I don't necessarily object to this, but ... well, that troff request is
weird.  Like I'm still not quite sure what is going on there; I don't
understand why you need that fill space.  Also you manually need to
specify the maximum cell size when you make those tables by hand.

tbl (which seems like it has been supported ... forever?) does the hard
work of creating tables for you.  It seems like the right tool for the
job; even I could figure it out.  As Anthony has pointed out mandoc
is the default man page formatter for BSD systems, now MacOS X, and
some Linux distributions.  Seems to me that switching to tbl for those
things is a no-brainer unless I am missing something, which is always
possible!