Re: Just updated from CentOS 7 to Rocky Linux 8.5 and can't find nmh any

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: Just updated from CentOS 7 to Rocky Linux 8.5 and can't find nmh anywhere
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 21:58:05 -0500

David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> writes:
> Tom wrote:
>> One other thing to worry about is that RHEL might not even carry
>> the prerequisites of the package you want.  When rebuilding
>> nmh-1.7.1-7 on RHEL8, I found I needed perl-NKF which is not in
>> base RHEL8.  Fortunately you can get it from the codeready repo.

> I'm surprised that perl-NKF, or any perl package, is needed.

According to my notes, the Fedora nmh package lists w3m as a build
dependency and w3m wanted perl-NKF as an install dependency.
I didn't stop to inquire about how essential either dependency
actually is.

My vague memory from a previous life working for Red Hat is that their
automatic dependency extractor sometimes misidentifies perl dependencies,
and only fairly nitpicky packaging engineers will trouble to get rid of
bogus ones.  So maybe the perl-NKF dependency was bogus and I could've
overridden it ... or not.

                        regards, tom lane