Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 14:33:01 +0000

Ralph writes:

> I don't think these ‘Preferred MIME names’ would introduce extra NULs.
> It's basically any single-byte stateless encoding which only maps NUL to
> NUL.
>
>     US-ASCII
>     ISO-8859-{1..10,15}
>     Windows-1252
>
> And many others.

I'd rather not enumerate the many others.  Maybe another approach
could be the following?

1. Attempt to decode the body, given any encoding.
2. If unable to decode or if any NUL octets in the decoded text,
   leave the body encoded.  If unable to decode, that's allowed by
   RFC 2047 § 6.2.  If any NULs, that seems to be in the same spirit.