Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:33:07 -0400

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
>> For EL6, the build needs to use autoconf268 instead of
>> autoconf.  And it needs automake 1.12, but it looks like
>> automake 1.11 is installed, so that might be a show stopper.

> Do they want to actually build from a git checkout, or a distribution
> tar file?  If it's the latter, it shouldn't matter what Autotools version
> is installed.

Normal expectation is that builds should be done from a released tarball
if the upstream publishes such.  In my former life as a Red Hat employee,
I did maintain some packages that needed to have patches applied to
configure.in and then were re-autoconf'd from there, but I believe that
was the exception (and generally an indication of poor autoconfiscation,
or a ridiculously ancient autoconf version used by upstream).

I do not know how David came to the conclusion that EL5 does not have
autoconf/automake packaged, but I will state for a fact that it does,
and so did very many Red Hat releases before it, because I maintained
packages that depended on them.

                        regards, tom lane