Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

From: Robert Elz
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 12:16:49 +0700

    Date:        Mon, 26 Sep 2016 16:50:19 -0400
    From:        Ken Hornstein <address@hidden>

  | I could probably do a NetBSD port version;

That's pkgsrc, a NetBSD port is the OS for a different architecture.

nmh is in pkgsrc already (mail/nmh) (so is exmh) (pkgsrc started on NetBSD
-derived from FreeBSD ports, but can also be used on FreeBSD (OpenBSD too I
think) Dragonfly, most linux versions, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, and more)
mail/nmh in pkgsrc will certainly get upgraded to 1.7 soon      after it is
released.

There are binary versions for the most popular system/OS combinations,
but (as its name implies) using the source with pkgsrc to build just about
anywhere is trivial (about the only thing not yet properly supported is
cross compiling - it wouldn't be an issue for nmh, I don't think, but too
many programs want to test (or use) the build environment as if it was the
target, dealing with all of that is a real pain ... autoconf is a real
PITA that way, it tests what works in the build environ, not what works
in the target being compiled for.)

Incidentally, there are just two patches for nmh (1.6) in pkgsrc.   One is
to nmh's Makefile.in and just arranges for the config files get installed
where pkgsrc wants them to get put (pgksrc never itself modifies the system
it installs things in, outside of its designated place, so the config files
are installed as examples, which users can then install if that's what they
want).   That one would be inappropriate for the nmh distribution.

The other is in sbr/fmt_scan.c and changes "value" from int to long long
to make sure that a time_t can fit (time_t can be 64 bits, and is on NetBSD,
int is typically 32 bits, just plain "long" might be as well.)

kre