Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

From: William Hay
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:49:13 +0100

Thus spake Ken Hornstein:
> >I'd like to be able to distinguish between seen and unseen messages without
> >requiring the MDA to update the .mh_sequence file.  If the sequence was a
> >list
> >of messages that were read rather than unread then only the interactive
> >mh commands would need to muck with it thereby avoiding a need for the MDA
> >to lock the .mh_sequence file.
>
> I think in practice too much code depends right now on the current sematics
> of the unseen sequence.

Which is why I suggested implemenation by checking for the sequence negation
prefix
when using the unseen sequence.  The semantics remain the same although the
implementation
differs.  Adding to the unseen sequence is translated to removing from
the seen sequence which would(at least potentially) be a no-op for new messages.

> Also, what's the big deal with locking the sequence file, anyway?  I think
> we've got that all straightened out.

You may have but not every mda even attempts to update the sequence.

William