Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:36:52 +0200

> So please tell me if there is a solution or if I should
> give up using Nel (but then again, please understand that
> I totaly agree with the idea of sharing my improvments of
> the library).
>
>       Yann
>
> P.S. I understand the passion behind the free software notion, however,
> in the very field of MMORPG, the inability to protect your rules -
> the spirit of your game - leaves the opportunity to a greater
> company, if they happen to be popular, to deprive you of the pleasure
> of running your game by draining your playerbase by using its marketing
> power. You then end up with the opposite of the reason why you thrive
> for free software: people make profit over your ideas because of their
> mere initial wealth.

I think u just point out here the Open Source Concept as one
of the biggest joke of the end of twentieth century .

Software code in itself is not that important thing when GPL is concerned,
and beeing able to read it and extract the major concepts of a software is
the great thing  : u always proceed with reverse engineering , - the ever
coming question how do they do that - even when using software like ...
those which don't provide source code .

That's why GPL is a bad trick to minor companies and therefore for individuals :
releasing code shows the overall software architecture , may let u get insights
about hardcore coded sections and definitively unprotects the source providers .

Good and Exceptionnal concepts are quickly analysed (you always need to
understand
the philosophy that drives a software architecture to be able to use it)
So major companies will reuse GPLed code that much faster than minor entities
- as far as software production is concerned -
I think that instead of promoting talents ,GPL comes with a global leverage
tendance .

The company I work for prohibits the reuse of GPL code and tends to minimize
the usage of LGPL ed source code : no need to ask a lawyer why , everybody
will laugh at u if u ask and I think the boss is right here .
Great support is provided to software users , but anyway , any reliable company
protects its sources ( Nevrax Executives don ot read that ). Please note
that I'm in no way related to MS .
Isn't GPL the biggest break to creativity we ever seen since communism died
out of realism ?

Would GPL minds expect great french wine caves to make their 'elevage'
methods publically available - I love great wines - , but who ever thought
that we would get better wine through that way , that's not a reliable way of
thinking and only fools rush in .

I don't want to minimize the brightness of people who go promoting the GPL
concept ,
(I 've the reputation to use my mind in very efficient ways though ) , but
since I'm tightened to realism in my comapany , I totally agree with GPL
detractors .
Privacy is definitively needed or the world dies out of any will .

I realize i might be removed from the list after that ,
but I don't think it will happen .

Back to development and implementation , lots of to do ahead (I wouldn't be
there if not)

Stephane Craux
address@hidden
Voila vous propose une boite aux lettres gratuite sur Voila Mail:
http://mail.voila.fr