Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns

From: x5101920
Subject: Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 21:25:55 +0200 (MET DST)

> Then you take the GPL game rules on the other side of the API, delete
> them,
> and write your totally new rules, using only the API.  Tah da, they are
> yours, and you don't have to release your code to anyone.  The game
> rules
> are a separate binary (library, .o file) just like the game data.  Use
> dynamically linked libraries if you want more separation.  (But I'm
> pretty
> sure that when compiling proprietary apps (see below) under GNU/Linux,
> at
> least some GPL code gets bound directly in.  Also, the concept of
> "contamination" my apply, but hey, we are talking a GAME here.  Do you
> really think anyone is going to bother suing you?  Unlikely I think. )

You are totally wrong...
Please go and read about LIBRARY and GPL License...

What ever you link to a GPL app MUST be GPL. :)
So you have to publish your source under GPL.

And yes you will be sued... you are using the work of thousand of people and
you
can't share a few stupid lines of code!?!?!?!...

> This is the same as developing proprietary apps on GNU/Linux.  GNU/Linux
> provides a public, GPL'd API, but the app you write that interfaces to
> that API is totally your own.

You are wrong again...
>From what I understood by a mail from FSF, the only way you have to skip GPL
>is:
1) Get a License from Nel.
2) Code the whole client under a different license. Unless the Net protocol is
propietary... that I think it is not the case.

> (I'm pretty sure that when compiling proprietary apps under GNU/Linux,
> at
> least some GPL code gets bound directly in, though this doesn't seem to
> bother anyone.  Also, the concept of "contamination" may apply, but hey,
> we
> are talking a GAME here.  Do you really think anyone is going to bother
> suing you for GPL license violation?  Unlikely I think, unless you
> really do
> overtly violate the license. )

No, it is not the same... Please ask a lawyer about it, he will explain it more
clearly that I can.

IMO if someone violate even a bit the license i set, I will sue him.

Regards.

                  Miguel Angel Blanch Lardin

nuclear cia fbi spy password code encrypt president bomb iran irak korea cuba
Ala yihad mosad kgb free freedom human rights yugoslavia kosovo ebola dna

                    -- Echelon must die --