Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns

From: Yann Morvan
Subject: Re: [Nel] Congratulations + concerns
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:59:51 -0400

Well, while explaining his mistakes to Brenden,
you didn't adress my point, which is this:
Though EQ has better graphics and better written
network code than UO, I preffer UO because of its rules,
which yet are hardcoded.

If it is not possible for me to use Nel
(and share the technical improvments I may
make) without being able to protect my set of game
rules (which are in no way an improvment to the Nel
library, being specific to my game), then you reduce
content to superficial things (graphics etc) and customer
service, which have never alone made the main interest of a game
for any gamer with an ounce of taste.

So please tell me if there is a solution or if I should
give up using Nel (but then again, please understand that
I totaly agree with the idea of sharing my improvments of
the library).

        Yann

P.S. I understand the passion behind the free software notion, however,
in the very field of MMORPG, the inability to protect your rules -
the spirit of your game - leaves the opportunity to a greater
company, if they happen to be popular, to deprive you of the pleasure
of running your game by draining your playerbase by using its marketing
power. You then end up with the opposite of the reason why you thrive
for free software: people make profit over your ideas because of their
mere initial wealth.