nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [nano] improving accessibility

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [nano] improving accessibility
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 21:24:57 +0200

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016, at 11:21, Enrico Mioso wrote:
> I am currently working on the terminal, using the excellent
> BRLTTY software, developed by Dave Mielke:
> http://brltty.com/
>
> The currently displayed line of text is referred as "braillewindow" if I
> didn't
> understand wrong the terminology. That braille window can be moved around
> using
> keys on the brailledisplay. So, it's possible to move around the screen
> without
> moving the "real" cursor.

How many keys do you have on the braille display to move the
window?  Up, down, top, bottom, and "back to cursor"?  And how
do you keep track of where the window is on the screen?  Is there
a kind of "line number"?  Or do you just have to mentally remember
where you moved it?  Or do you seldom use this and mostly just
move the cursor?

> By default, the braille window follows the cursor
> however, so having both the hilight marker and the real cursor would bevery
> very nice to me.

Okay, that should be possible to make, cursor and highlight in the
same place.  I will have to think about with what option or setting
to activate this.

By the way, do you still need to have some visual display attached
to your computer, or is it enough to have just the braille device?
Can you even follow fragments of the boot sequence on that?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Accessible with your email software
                          or over the web