nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [nano] improving accessibility

From: Enrico Mioso
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [nano] improving accessibility
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 11:21:27 +0200 (CEST)

First of all, thank you again to all of you guys.

I forgot to explain how my braille display works in my previous reply: and
partly maybe because I don't know exactly how well I will be able to explain it.

I am currently working on the terminal, using the excellent BRLTTY software,
developed by Dave Mielke:
http://brltty.com/

There are various kinds of braille displays I think: the one I am using
currently however, prints a single line of text at a time in a tactile form I
can read touching it with my fingers. this is a gross explanation, but this may
get you an idea.
The braille display is controlled by a daemon process, which on Linux relies on
the /dev/vcs* facility to read what's on the screen, and communicate the
needed informations to  the braille display itself. Depending on the braille
display, the communication protocol may change: so there is the need for a
specific software to handle it. I don't think I could use my display as a
serial console. right now, my computer is connected with an USB bluetooth
dongle, handled by the btusb driver, and via Bluetooth to the brailledisplay
itself. I tell you this to give you an idea of the different possibilities.
The currently displayed line of text is referred as "braillewindow" if I didn't
understand wrong the terminology. That braille window can be moved around using
keys on the brailledisplay. So, it's possible to move around the screen without
moving the "real" cursor. By default, the braille window follows the cursor
however, so having both the hilight marker and the real cursor would bevery
very nice to me. I may have been very imprecise: for anything, let me know.
However, the BRLTTY manual and the guys working on it, would be for sure better
than me in explaining, and for sure they know better the software.

Those are my impressions.

Thank you again,
Enrico