[Monotone-devel] Re: Thoughts about 'testresult'...

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Thoughts about 'testresult'...
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:01:14 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Random idea: adding an "h:" selector, meaning "head", is on the todo
> list (I think someone was working on it?).  Could make the selector
> syntax recursive, so h:a:richard means "head of the set of revisions
> specified by a:richard", i.e., the latest.
>
> This is probably a terrible idea, though, because then people will
> want a way to distinguish between h:(a:richard/b:net.venge.monotone)
> type parsing and (h:a:richard)/b:net.venge.monotone type parsing.

Yes, there's an obvious desire for more expressive selectors, but it's
easy to see powerful syntaxes that would be really horrible to use.

One problem that came up earlier was the lack of exact matching.  For
example, it feels odd that I can't ask for revisions on exactly the
branch "net.venge.monotone".  (IIRC, the context was something like
someone wanting to get the latest revision, so they did "monotone
--db=... co head monotone", and head expanded to some branch name
containing the string "head".)

I'd vote for making branch matching exact by default, so if I say
--branch=net.venge.monotone, then I mean exactly that branch, and
similarly for selectors.

[...]