Re: [Monotone-devel] Thoughts about 'testresult'...

From: Emile Snyder
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Thoughts about 'testresult'...
Date: 21 Apr 2005 10:03:16 -0700

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 09:12, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> esnyder> Out of curiosity, is there an argument against having the
> esnyder> general case flag, --cert=certname:certvalue that behaves
> esnyder> like --branch: restricting the considered graph to revisions
> esnyder> that have the given cert with the given value?
>
>   c:certname=certvalue
>
> The question is, should we take ALL revisions with that condition, or
> just the latest?  Maybe we need to look over the selector syntax a bit
> to support different desires.  After all. nothing stops me from
> setting the tag 'foo' on several revisions (or?), and to want only the
> latest revision with that tag later on (with the same criterion for
> "latest" as I have for testresults above)...

Ahhh, yes, this clarifies things.  In my mind, revision selectors should
always be trying to find the single revision that meets your selection
criteria.  There might not be such a single match, and then they should
complain, and give you a list.

What we would like is two new things: a way to specify a testresult
selector (or possibly just a general purpose cert selector a'la
c:certname=certval) *and* a way to say "take the latest rev that
satisfies this selector."  The latest rev part might still be ambiguous
(multiple heads) but then it just give you the list of possibilities
like usual.  This could be implemented as a flag, or as an extension of
the selector syntax (capitalize the selector character?  add an 'l'
after it?)

So al:richard or A:richard or '--latest-selector a:richard' would be the
latest rev authored by richard, and rl:address@hidden would be the latest
revision with a true testresult cert signed by richard.

Does this make sense?

But as a separate issue, is there anything that we would want the
--cert=certname:certvalue flag that works like the --branch flag (in
fact, --branch would just be a special case, --cert=branch:branchname)
for?  Or am I just inventing useless features?

thanks,
-emile

> Cheers,
> Richard
>
> -----
> Please consider sponsoring my work on free software.
> See http://www.free.lp.se/sponsoring.html for details.

Pauli's exclusive, Heisenberg's uncertain and Schroedinger just waves --
Caton Little