[Monotone-devel] Re: host vs user authentication, was Re: newbie questio

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: host vs user authentication, was Re: newbie question - SHA1 vs serials
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:30:48 -0700

Emile Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 08:24, K. Richard Pixley wrote:

Pretty much any authentication possible under linux is available through
apache.  This includes authentication by user, by host, all of the PAM

I'm curious about the host trust mode.  What prevents a user on that
host from taking whatever secret the host is using to authenticate
itself and moving it to a new machine?
The same thing that currently prevents monotone users from sharing private keys - administrative wisdom.  It's the same motivation most people use when they take their car keys with them rather than leaving them in a parked car's ignition switch.

When I decide to trust a machine, it's not just that I trust that the technical details will allow us to talk.  I'm also trusting the administrator(s) of that machine to be competent and to perform due diligence toward security of those secrets.

In typical unix, host level secrets are not available to basic users but are instead available only to administrators.  Granted, shared systems aren't so common anymore and jacking a hard disk is more a question of access to the building the machine is stored in than it is a software security issue.

If you are particularly concerned about this problem, then you should already be concerned about the user key issue in monotone.  There are strong methods for solving both - kerberos, for instance.  All of these require some key things monotone currently does not: namely, administrative control.  Not centralized control, mind you, we can do most of these things strongly with peer-to-peer networking and circles of trust.

--rich