Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:59:32 -0700

Jon Bright wrote:

Situation A: Intellectual property. My company has a policy wherein all work must be done on company machines on company sites. I want to allow public key access within the company, but none others. Note that company does have remote sites. As sits, I can't use monotone to accept company changes while rejecting changes those same users might attempt to make from home. I can do this with firewalls and such, if I have access to them, but not with monotone.

Out of interest, is there another SCM system which does achieve this, or is this more of a wishlist item? If there is, how do they do that? (I'm presuming they're not just replicating firewall functionality - if they were, there'd seem little point.)

Any of the systems which work through apache have all of apache's authentication facilities available. For subversion, this seems to be one of the big reasons for using the (slower) apache based approach as it seems to be pretty much the only authentication subversion currently has.

Clearcase multi site basically just won't accept packets from unknown sources and basic clearcase uses standard unix local network authentication mechanisms just like a standard unix file system.

Those are the two which come to mind immediately.

Basically, monotone seems to have been designed specifically in order to avoid the need for access to network infrastructure and/or root access and the like. While this exactly fits many free software development situations, it's near backward for most corporate development. IMO, a superior system would support either structure.

--rich