Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:50:57 -0700

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:08:47 -0700, "K. Richard Pixley"
<address@hidden> said:

rich> > 3. I have machine foo.bar.com - what to do about some
rich> >    unpleasant person who decides to incorrectly name their
rich> >    machine foo.bar.com too?  (There are a number of
rich> >    workarounds for this, each with advantages and
rich> >    disadvantages)
rich> rich> You do nothing. It's up to the administrator of bar.com to
rich> resolve this collision.

The point is, what happens in the mean time?

In other messages, I've agreed that some form of repository authentication would solve the problem. Long term, I think this sort of feature would be very useful in monotone, even aside from the issue of man-in-the-middle and imposter attacks.

As I read the manual, (the sum of my monotone experience), monotone is currently vulnerable to these problems already. And finding a means of addressing it would seem to be a welcome addition in any case.

You have seen what history can look like with the multi-head model
monotone uses, have you?

I can imagine it without any difficulty, yes. It'll give most developers I've ever supported headaches and nightmares and would likely be the biggest barrier to adoption. Monotone does have some very nice architectural features, though, especially when compared with other current free software offerings.

There were a few problems (at least one being very serious) with
serials.  Those problems just aren't with SHA-1s.  I let that speak
for itself.
So far I haven't heard any serious problems with serials. What problem are you thinking of?

--rich