Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials

From: Joel Crisp
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie question - SHA1 vs serials
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:35:10 +0100

K. Richard Pixley wrote:
Emile Snyder wrote:

*SNIP*

The modern answer is to construct your database and file systems in such a way that either data hits disk in an order which is always recoverable, (in which case any snapshot is recoverable), or such that the system can be forced to flush all caches and create a consistent disk state, even if it's only briefly. Clearcase uses the latter at this point.

*SNIP*

Clearcase also doesn't do it properly and the standard solution to VOB corruption (you know you've experienced it!) is to restore from an older, quiescent backup.

BTW, I really love Clearcase, I also know where it breaks down....

Joel