Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:56:25 +0200

Peter Simons wrote:

Nathaniel Smith writes:

> There is a bug in netsync such that if you have A -> B ->
> C -> ... arbitrarily much stuff, and A is in one branch 1
> and B, C, etc. are in branch 2, then netsync'ing branch 2
> alone will result in the sort of behavior you're seeing.

This bug is biting me again. :-(

I have data in branches com.mycompany.xxx and
net.private.xxx, and these branches do overlap (because I
use "propagate" to synchronize stuff between my work and
home machine). My repository server knows these collections:

 com.mycompany
 net.private

So when I sync the first collection, Netsync won't work
because net.private isn't included and thus the anchestry
graph is incomplete. Then I sync the second collection and
Netsync doesn't work because com.mycompany isn't included
this time. In effect, it is impossible for me to sync either
branch! And I can't define a collection that _would_ include
both branches at the same time, so I am essentially stuck.

Any suggestions how to work around this problem?
Is it really a bug in netsync? Sounds more like a design thingy... If I understand it correctly the files are stored as delta to previous revision (?) so we really need the history.

That said, I would be very interested in the solution as well, because the described pattern fits my working habits - have some versioned sandbox to play with and "release" only something sensible to the world by "propagate" to the main branch. As far as I care, after a week I don't even need the history of the sandbox branch so if it could be deleted, all the better (this branch is never synced with the "world").

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic