Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 05:56:31 -0700

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:03:34PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> No, you are right. I am trying to reduce the size of the
> tree by splitting components of the huge branch into
> sub-branches.
>
> Being able to pull those sub-branches without pulling the
> main branch is "another" problem. In practice, however, it
> is the same problem because the initial pull of the original
> branch takes about a day.

Oof.  I assume this is just because of the really slow ancestry
checking code?

> So I really need a way to pull a branch without pulling all
> its history.
>
> Would it help if the sub-branch had an "initial" commit? A
> commit without ancestor? Then I could do:
>
>   monotone --branch=new.branch commit 'initial version'
>   monotone propagate huge.branch new.branch
>
> Would that work?

No, it wouldn't; huge.branch would still be in the ancestry of
new.branch, adding an additional fork of ancestry wouldn't affect
that.  You could disconnect the histories altogether by exporting
files from huge.branch and re-importing them into new.branch,
discarding history, but obviously that's not a great solution.

I'd rather figure out how to make monotone fast enough that you don't
feel the need to do this?  How huge _is_ huge.branch?  (total files,
total filesize, total revisions?)

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield