[Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything
Date: 06 Apr 2005 12:03:34 +0200

Nathaniel Smith writes:

 >> [...] We need to split A into smaller sub-branches, but
 >> we need to do so without losing the ability to propagate
 >> changes in B back into A.

 > ...but this makes it sound like your problem is not the
 > problem that partial pulls can solve. "status", "commit",
 > etc. should be O(the size of your current tree), and the
 > amount of history in your database, or the size of
 > historical trees, should be irrelevant. Am I wrong?

No, you are right. I am trying to reduce the size of the
tree by splitting components of the huge branch into
sub-branches.

Being able to pull those sub-branches without pulling the
main branch is "another" problem. In practice, however, it
is the same problem because the initial pull of the original
branch takes about a day.

So I really need a way to pull a branch without pulling all
its history.

Would it help if the sub-branch had an "initial" commit? A
commit without ancestor? Then I could do:

  monotone --branch=new.branch commit 'initial version'
  monotone propagate huge.branch new.branch

Would that work?

Peter