Re: [Monotone-devel] Removing things from the database

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Removing things from the database
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:38:41 -0800

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 09:11:57AM -0600, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> This is not exactly what I meant.  I just want to remove information from
> my database.  Not alter it, not "delete a branch" with a cert or something.

The current way to remove a whole branch from the database would be to
netsync everything you _do_ want into a another database, then delete
the original database.

This is actually a pretty reasonable choice in the long term too, I
think; it's a rare enough operation that if it's a little annoying to
do, well, that's not so bad and might even be a little good.  It also
neatly avoids the problems about accounting for which things are
actually used, etc., and even more importantly, means we don't have to
come up with some UI do specify _which_ things you want to delete --
you can use the existing netsync stuff.

Of course, it would be nicer if we had more convenient
database-to-database sync, which we will sometime but not yet.

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling