Re: [Monotone-devel] Removing things from the database

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Removing things from the database
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:55:19 +0100

Matthew A. Nicholson schrieb:
This is not exactly what I meant.  I just want to remove information
from my database.  Not alter it, not "delete a branch" with a cert or
something.

Ah, that's two different topics here:

Trimming a database locally (to save storage or to forget about unneeded
branches). Let's call this "trimming"

Renaming or deleting a branch globally (to remove a revision, rename a
branch, correct an error, forget old revisions after rebuilds etc.) and
wanting this correction to spread to every synchronized database. Let's
call this "cert invalidation"

I see that my proposal applies to the second problem (which also get's
asked for periodically) but offers nothing to the first. My only idea is
to issue a delete command for the matching certificates and then
synchronize into an empty database. An UI shortcut [aka specialized
command] for this might be a good idea if often wanted.

   Christof

PS: I am already able to checkout a remote CVS repository
(rsh,ssh,pserver) and (repeatedly) update to later revisions (on the
n.v.m.cvssync branch). Pushing changes back into CVS is in the works
(50% done).
Caveats: No tag setting, only HEAD branch for now, be careful with big
projects (see my SIGSEGV thread).