Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Ideas and questions.

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Ideas and questions.
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:57:00 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:00:45 +0100, Jon Bright
<address@hidden> said:

jon> It should be short if it's not .-prefixed, to avoid widening ls
jon> listings. If it's .-prefixed, it should still be not-insanely-long - jon> Windows doesn't hide things with . prefixes. My personal preference jon> would probably be ".monotone", which I think describes it fine and jon> shouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Let me repeat once more: .-prefixing is a bad idea outside the Unix
world.  If monotone is supposed to be portable to other systems, don't
use .-prefixing.

It's fine in the Windows world, as far as I know - it doesn't have the same effect, but I've yet to see it causing problems. OK, it might be bad for OpenVMS and who knows what else - these systems should perhaps use a name adapted to their own conventions. But .-prefixing is so useful in the Unix world that I think it would be a shame not to use it there just because OpenVMS doesn't support it.

Is there any reason not to use different metadata directory names on different systems? Given that most people will only ever see one or two of Unix|Windows, which can both use .monotone, most people get the benefit, while OpenVMS can use its own convention and isn't damaged by the convention elsewhere?

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.