Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming branches (was Re: Ideas and questions.)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:59:28 +0100

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 02:20 -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 09:53:29AM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> > In my humble opinion, the ability to rename a branch in the
> > _local_ database is what is missing at the moment. I've
> > never needed a global rename; I've needed a local rename
> > dozens of times though.
>
> Do you mind saying a few words about why?  I got one answer to my
> earlier question asking for use cases for this, but I sorta doubt that
> you've renamed your company or had a product bought out or whatever
> dozens of times :-) And it'd be very helpful in thinking about design
> stuff here if I wasn't so much guessing what people actually are
> trying to _do_...

Maybe consider the following scenario: an untrained contributor of your
project creates a branch for his new stuff.  He works on it for a while
but, when you want to add his branch into the main database, you find
out that his branch name does not follow your style.  Or it has a
meaningless name.

Or what will happen if the recommended naming scheme is changed from
org.domain.project to something different?  How will people cope up to
adapt to the new scheme?  (I'm curious here because this is something
I'll want to do, if/when it happens.)

Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/