Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:07:29 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:04:57AM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
So, options:
  a) keep the name "monotone"
  b) switch to "mtn"
  c) do both, i.e. have packages that install the binary as one and
     create a symlink for the other, or somesuch.
(any I'm missing?)

Oh, we could also be really hard-core -- the name "m" is, AFAICT, not
taken! :-)

Perhaps a bit extreme... so far I've just been typing monotone and haven't really found that to be a problem. If I was going to alias this I would probably go with "mo" just for the humour in it. I don't really like "mtn" very much, personally, makes me think of mountain or something.

Really, when you think about the entire command, "monotone" is only part of the story. i.e. "monotone rename oldfile newfile" isn't going to be improved very much by "mtn rename oldfile newfile".

If some kind soul were to come up with a pcl-cvs style emacs binding that should fix some semi-significant fraction of the problem and other ide integrations will also go a *long* way to making this a non-issue. I only very rarely use the cvs command line these days, my ide does most/many operations (like renames, er add/delete, add, delete, etc.) by watching files come and go without any intervention.

Cheers,
Derek