Re: [Monotone-devel] Building a notifier for use on a server. Feature re

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Building a notifier for use on a server. Feature request.
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:56:42 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker schrieb:
for a while now, I've been thinking about how to build an email logger
with diffs, like there are a few for CVS.  I find those loggers quite
practical to follow exactly what's going on in a project.  There is
the note_commit hook, sure, but it's quite useless for my purposes.  I
basically want to be able to create a mailing list where all commits,
not just my own, are logged.

What I'm thinking of doing (well, actually started already) is a
script that would keep a record of the revision last seen in each
branch, and periodically (say once an hour) check if anything has
changed in the database and create diff logs.  Sounds simple enough,
all that's needed is to use 'monotone lca' (which is undocumencted,
btw) in case there are several heads in a branch, to make sure the
diff is made correctly.

I also would like a feature like this. But my idea was to make the
monotone server process emit a mail (or better: queue an event) once a
new revision is synced into its database (LUA hook?). The revision ID
would be enough to look up author, branch, diff, ancestors etc and mail
them to a list. Graydon told me some time ago that such a mechanism
already exists (though I had the impression that it could only track
local checkins, no sync-ins).

   Christof