Re: Discourse

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 23:52:31 +1100

OK, I think we can drop the discourse on Discourse :-) I see that it is too big a change for the users of this list. Running GNU Mailman 2 in parallel with the list is not something I'm prepared to do, even though it could just barely be made to work. It's a pity people object to this newer technology as the mailing list function of Discourse is precisely equivalent to what you have now. It's only limited in comparison to the very very costly LISTSERV mailing list software.

Anyway, there is cost involved in running a Linux server, and there is also constant maintenance to do, so given that this suggestion has flopped I won't push the idea any further. But I do want to disabuse people of the notion that advertising is involved. Neither the self hosted version nor the Enterprise hosted version come with advertisements and there is no support for that in the software anyway. And also by the way, the emails come out threaded by topic, just as they do here in this list, and so its very easy to follow conversations on a topic.

Andrew