Re: Discourse

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 21:02:09 -0600

On Thu 23 Feb 2023 at 15:14:08 (-0800), Aaron Hill wrote:
> On 2023-02-23 3:08 pm, David Wright wrote:

> > > I just tried Ctrl-P on
> > > https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-702-marking-deprecations-using-the-type-system/23036
> > > (in Firefox). It gave me a perfectly legible and relatively
> > > nicely formatted PDF.
> >
> > I just tried ^P on the same link in FF, and I got a bar that said:
> >
> >   "Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window.
> > [Preferences]  ×"
> >
> > What does it contain/is it for?
>
> That's an overly aggressive pop-up blocker.

For any given site, it's Yes or No. FF says No aggressively?¹ :)

> Opening new pages for
> printing is a pretty normal use case.
>
> But you should be able to manually add "/print" to the end of the URL
> and navigate to the page without the pop-up block.

Thanks. That gave me precisely what I normally get by typing ^P.
With all the hundreds of pages that I've printed from FF (I hasten
to add that I only print to PDFs from applications), this is the
first site to trigger a "pop-up" on pressing ^P.

Assuming that this modal print dialog box is what the "pop-up"
contains, I can't understand why this site, unlike any other,
considers it a pop-up. I don't suppose it's worth signing up
just to ask.

¹ OTOH my ad-etc-blocking is aggressive, ~13,500 addresses.

Cheers,
David.