Re: Jazz Chord Symbols (as new font - NOT notation font)

From: Marco Baumgartner
Subject: Re: Jazz Chord Symbols (as new font - NOT notation font)
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 03:45:58 +0200

Hi Aaron,

thanks. No problem, nothing bad happened so far.
Didn't know about lilybin - that's interesting news to me!

First time I'm ever seeing some ligatures in a font is running:

\version "2.19.2"
\markup \roman "fi"

with the unstable version 2.19.48 on lilybin.com

It would be nice to have this on my system too, so I can start testing my new Chord-Font.
I read through all the tips on how to install/compile unstable versions of lilypond,
but couldn't find a "simple" way to to it. If you guys use 2.19.2 or the like - that means you compiled it from source, right?
And actually do what it says in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/compiling.html ?
That's pretty awkward to me. There isn't a pre-packed installable version of 2.19? Or an easier way?

Cheers, Marco

***
www.marcobaumgartner.com

***

On 2019-07-05 5:34 pm, Marco Baumgartner wrote:
> the output of:
>
> \markup \roman "fi"
>
> is in the attachment. It does not produce the ligatures - both in
> standard
> and a testing font of mine containing ligatures (otf).
> In the word "leer", the letter e and r should be connected.
>
> I stumbled over this (2015):
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Broken-ligatures-in-recent-LilyPond-versions-td171760.html
>
> It's said, that as of 2.18.2 and newer, ligatures are broken in
> lilypond.
> Doesn't seem to be the case for everybody though...
>
> I've updatet my system, running Debian Stretch 9.9 now.
> Lilypond is no longer in the standard-repository in this updated
> version,
> so I've installed the generic package "2.18.2" from lilypond.org.

Firstly, I said lilybin.org by mistake.  I meant of course lilybin.com.

Secondly, I goofed in my testing.  I had thought I was on stable 2.18.2
when I saw the ligature working.  But that is wrong.  It was when
lilybin.com was using unstable 2.19.48 that the ligatures appear to
work.  And for comparison, the following also works on my machine
running 2.19.82:

%%%%
\version "2.19"
\paper { #(include-special-characters) }
\markup \fontsize #12 \roman "fi ffi fl"
\markup \fontsize #12 \roman { "f&zwnj;i f&zwnj;f&zwnj;i f&zwnj;l" }
%%%%

At this point, 2.18.2 is pretty old when compared to all the updates
pending next stable release.  So it would definitely be worth seeing if
you can move up to the latest bits.

But if you have to stick to 2.18.2, then ligatures are not going to work
as expected due to problems with the older version of Pango it would
seem.

My apologies for leading you down a bad path.

-- Aaron Hill